The 2016 Annual Child Welfare Law Update Conference was held August 12, 2016 at the Ko’olau Golf Course in Kaneohe with the Honorable R. Mark Browning, Senior Family Court Judge, Family Court of the First Circuit, providing the opening remarks. Presentation titles with handouts are below. More handouts will be posted as they become available.
TED Talks played during lunch:
Shawn Achor: The happy secret to better work.
Kelly McGonigal: How to make stress your friend.
- Child Welfare Statutory Changes and Appellate Decisions
- Child Welfare and Related Laws Update -PowerPoint by Patrick Pascual
- SDO & Memo Op Table-2
- 2016 BIA ICWA Regulations (Federal Register)
- 2016_hrap11_12.1_28_29am_ada BIA ICWA Guidelines – 2015
- ED AND HHS EFFECTIVE DATES DCL.PDF
- Every Student Succeeds Act of 2016
- HB 2082 Act 080 signed by Gov
- HB 2340 Act 096 signed by Gov
- HB 2350 Act 133 signed by Gov Higher Ed age extension 2016
- Higher Ed age extension 2016 SB 2878 Act 134 signed by Gov
- Judiciary and Executive Branch: Child Welfare Initiatives, Accomplishments, and Plans for 2016-17
- LGBTQ Update: Overview of Current LGBTQ Issues and Legal Developments in Hawaii and the Nation
- Introduction to the DHS Unknown Perpetrator Protocol
- “Prudent Parenting” Statute: Promoting Wellbeing and Normalcy for Minors in Foster Care Panel
- Video: Promoting Well-Being and Normalcy for Foster Youth
- Don’t Say No Until You Know
- Learning by doing
- Normalcy in Foster Care-Guide for RC
- RC-CCI-Use and safety considerations of social networking
- Social Media-Tips for Foster Youth
- REISSUED BILL OF RIGHTS FOR CHILDREN & YOUTH IN FOSTER CARE 3-10-16 lkazama
- Child Welfare Information Gateway’s resource page highlights the provision of the 2014 Strengthening Families Act that allows caregivers and foster parents to use a reasonable and prudent parent standard as they make decisions to allow young people to participate in age-appropriate activities that were too often off-limits for youth in care. Click here to visit the page.
- Current Drug Trends
- Presented by Gary Shimabukuro, Certified Prevention Specialist, Laulima Hawaii